Wednesday, March 07, 2007

Illuminated Manuscripts

Chapel building
Marcus
Crusade
Johannes
The “Codices Electronici Sangallenses” (Digital Abbey Library of St. Gallen), has very high quality scans. Some of these books are the only existing copies. The text doesn't do much for me but the illustrations are wonderful. They are readily accessible by viewing the 'description' first and then clicking on the links. The four pictures here are just a small selection from an extensive collection. The first I chose because I find it bizarre that the illustrator chose to depict an accident at the site of the building of a chapel. Amongst others in this book there is also a great picture of a nun about to be set on by a hairy, horned, devil person as she tends to a bonfire of some sort. I love the expressions and the eye work in the Saints book (the second and last pictures here). I chose the Crusades picture just because it's totally dodgy. Link…

No comments: